Trash Collection and Recycling Services are billed monthly to Bethalto residents on their Water Utility Bill. These bills are sent out by the Water Department. The services are provided by Republic Services. Click to view a map of weekly trash routes. Additional trash bins are available from Republic Services for an additional fee. Contact Republic Services at 618-656-6883 for more information.
Republic Services recognizes six holidays: New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. When trash pick-up is interrupted for a holiday, the service schedule is delayed one day through the remainder of the week. If the holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday there is no change in the collection schedule. Republic Services provides large item and white goods (appliance) pickup for residents in the spring and fall of each year. Watch for annual dates on your monthly water bill, on Facebook, or on the Village website www.bethalto.com.
No calls are necessary for these dates. Please click on the link below for information regarding Large Item Cleanup Guidelines:
Throughout the year please call Republic Services at 618-656-6883 to schedule other large item and white good pickups. Subscription yard waste pick-up is also offered. To sign up for service please call Republic Services Customer Service Department at 618-656-6883. Yard waste service provides a maximum collection of 8 paper biodegradable bags (no plastic) or 32-gallon trashcans. If trashcans are used for yard waste, they must be marked with a 2′ X 2′ red “X” and be left as close to the roadway as possible or they will not be collected. Bags or cans of yard waste must not exceed 50 pounds in weight. Sticks and twigs up to four inches in diameter will be collected in 2’ x 4’ bundles tied with twine.
TRASH COLLECTION TIPS:
- Please set trash, recycling, and yard waste out by 6:00 a.m.
- Trash and yard waste cannot be mixed together.
- All trash and recycling must be in the containers provided by Republic Services.
- Trash and recycling containers may be placed 24 hours prior to scheduled collection times and returned to a screened area on private property not more than 24 hours after pickup.
- Set trash and recycling as close to the curb as possible.
- No liquid material is acceptable for curbside trash pick-up. Paint cans must be completely dry.
- Please remember to call Republic Services at (618) 656-6883 for white goods and large item pick-ups.
- Place recyclable material in the bin.
- Please don’t set recycle out in plastic grocery bags or newspaper in plastic wrappers.
- Please rinse all bottles and cans, also remove all caps from milk, detergent, and soda bottles, and place in caps in the trash.
- Any size cardboard boxes need to be broken down and made into bundles of no larger than 3’x3′ tied with non-plastic or metallic twine.
- Additional recycling bins are available at no charge from Republic Services.
- Corrugated Cardboard (no waxed cardboard)
- Mixed Office Paper (no metal clips, spirals, or binders)
- Junk Mail
- Newspaper & Gift Wrap (removed plastic sleeves from newspaper)
- Chipboard (cereal boxes, soda cases, etc.)
- Magazine, Catalogs, Telephone and Paperback Books
- Aluminum and Tin Cans
- Glass Bottles (Green, Amber, Clear)
- Plastic Bottles (#1, 2, 3,4,5 & 7 in the recycle symbol)
- Colored HDPE (Detergent bottles, Bleach bottles, etc.)
EXAMPLES OF UNACCEPTABLE MATERIALS:
- Food Contaminated packaging, such as pizza boxes, and food wrappers
- Containers previously containing petroleum products such as cooking or motor oil
- Styrofoam products, disposable diapers, and plastic grocery bags
If you have questions about recycling, call Allied Waste Customer Service at 618-656-6883
New E-Waste Recycling Law in the State of Illinois: Effective January 1, 2012, a new law in the state of Illinois will effectively BAN several types of electronics being dumped at a landfill. The law establishes a statewide system for recycling and/or reusing computers, monitors, televisions, and printers discarded from residences by requiring electronic manufacturers to participate in the management of discarded and unwanted electronic products.